[Book Review]: SEVEN TEARS AT HIGH TIDE by C. B. Lee (Duet, YA imprint of Interlude)

Okay spoiler alert: this was probably the cutest book I have read all year. I picked this up when I was at Book Riot Live last month, but I'd been eyeing it for longer, ever since I sat in on a webinar about LGBT publisher and this publisher was featured. Iwent to check out their site and saw a YA book about a selkie boy and I knew I had to have it.And the other main character being a bisexual poc was even better! So here we go:



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25837167-seven-tears-at-high-tide


Blurb:
The sea holds many secrets ...

Kevin Luong walks to the ocean’s edge with a broken heart. Remembering a legend his mother told him, he lets seven tears fall into the sea. “I just want one summer—one summer to be happy and in love.”

Instead, he finds himself saving a mysterious boy from the Pacific—a boy who later shows up on his doorstep professing his love. What he doesn’t know is that Morgan is a selkie, drawn to answer Kevin’s wish.

As they grow close, Morgan is caught between the dangers of the human world and his legacy in the selkie community to which he must return at summer’s end.


Here's my review:


I already said this was the cutest thing I read all year and I stand by that. The writing was so good I didn't care that it was present tense, which I'm not usually fond of. It fit the story, made everything feel like it's happening in the now. I think that was the author's intention, and if so, it worked. It drew me in as much as the characters themselves did.

Morgan was a joy. Sometimes he seemed ancient, the way he spoke and the things he knew, but then he learned and approached things with such a youthful enthusiasm, it balanced out that wiseness. I fell in love with him as quickly and easily as he fell in love with Kevin.*

Kevin was also adorable. he had some terrible jokes I feel like I too would appreciate, and he has such a good, open loving heart. It made me so angry to know how he'd been treated by Miles, and I loved how by the end he was so strong as a person that Miles was basically a nonentity to him. Beautiful.

The romance was lovely, the angst and subplots perfect.

*This story did have a very quick romance, on Morgan's part. He was able to proclaim his love easily, but the author gave us a very good reason, and one I enjoyed. Morgan was able to do in an instant something that takes humans a while to do, and it was interesting watching the two different ways the boys fell in love.

I adored this book.

Five overflowing glasses of wine!
 


Grab a copy from one of the buying options at Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Monday Me-Time]: Resurfacing!

[Book Review]: WITHIN A CAPTAIN'S HOLD by Lisa A. Olech (Lyrical Press)

[Book Review]: PLAYING THE LINES by J. Colby (Less Than Three Press)