[Book Review]: DARK HEART OF MAGIC by Jennifer Estep (Kensington Books)

One thing I promise not to do is let this blog get too biased toward Kensington titles. I do have access to a lot of them, so you will be seeing plenty, but I'll be sure to review as many non-Kensington titles as possible too. However I couldn't not post a review for Jennifer Estep's Dark Heart of Magic.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24402674-dark-heart-of-magic

Blurb:
Something Wicked This Way Comes...
As a thief, I stick to the shadows as much as possible. But when the head of the Sinclair Family picks me to compete in the Tournament of Blades, there's no escaping the spotlight—or the danger.

Even though he's my competition, Devon Sinclair thinks I have the best shot at winning what's supposed to be a friendly contest. But when the competitors start having mysterious "accidents," it looks like someone will do anything to win—no matter who they hurt.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about, mobster Victor Draconi is plotting against Devon and the rest of my friends, and someone's going around Cloudburst Falls murdering monsters. One thing's for sure. Sometimes, humans can be more monstrous than anything else...

Here's my review:


Wow. So I didn't cover the first book in the series on this blog, since I read it well before I started the blog, but I really liked COLD BURN OF MAGIC and would have given it four glasses. This one? Love it even more.

The tournament was awesome. I loved all the description of swordplay (note: I really love swordplay) and seeing it interspersed with magic was even more awesome. The descriptions of the matches made me feel like I was right there in the stands.

There were really good subplots that tied together well, as well as a sort-of-surprise twist ending. I guess one half of it, but didn't suspect there were two parts to it. No spoilers here. Go out and read this series!

Five topped-up full glasses of wine!
 


Check out buying options at Kensington Books!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Monday Me-Time]: Resurfacing!

[Book Review]: WITHIN A CAPTAIN'S HOLD by Lisa A. Olech (Lyrical Press)

[Book Review]: PLAYING THE LINES by J. Colby (Less Than Three Press)