[Book Review]: FORTUNE'S PAWN by Rachel Aaron (Orbit Books)


Okay don't get used to me posting this often. I had a day off and realized I'd already reviewed this one on Goodreads so I'm just posting it over here as well. So here we go!




Blurb: Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet.
That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

If Sigouney Weaver in Alien met Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica, you'd get Deviana Morris -- a hot new mercenary earning her stripes to join an elite fighting force. Until one alien bite throws her whole future into jeopardy.


Here's my review:


Let's get a few things straight. I'm not a fan of first person POV, generally. I also love watching sci-fi, but am not a fan of reading it. And yet this sci-fi first person POV book by Rachel Aaron completely captivated me. I gave it a shot because I'd read her Eli Monpress series and loved it, so I knew I liked the author's writing style. I'm so glad I gave it a shot.

Devi is an awesome heroine, a character who shows you can be strong - physically and mentally - and sexy at the same time. She's a woman who owns her sexuality, and while that's not a strong focus of the story, it's important. Because it makes it clear that she is not her relationships (or lack thereof). Who she is is her actions, her determination, and her loyalties.

The supporting characters are also awesome. There are more women on the ship - each so very different from Devi, each a strong, interesting character in her own right. There's diversity as well, something I love to see in sci-fi and fantasy (and anywhere really).

I blasted right through it and immediately bought the next two books. I highly recommend this series!

Five glasses of wine!
    

Note: I bought this book and then chose to review. I was lucky enough to have it signed and chat with the author, who is absolutely lovely.

Buy FORTUNE'S PAWN from the retailer of your choice, all listed at Goodreads here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Monday Me-Time]: Resurfacing!

[Book Review]: WITHIN A CAPTAIN'S HOLD by Lisa A. Olech (Lyrical Press)

[Book Review]: PLAYING THE LINES by J. Colby (Less Than Three Press)